Importance of Early Intervention
Rigorous research has shown that the critical period of child brain development happens in the earliest years. According to Harvard University (2008, 2010), this is due to the following reasons:
- Neural circuits, which are the foundations of learning, behaviour and health, are most malleable during the first three years of life
- Early social and emotional development and physical health provide the foundation upon which cognitive and language skills can develop
- High quality early intervention services can alter a child’s developmental trajectory and improve outcomes for children, families and communities
- Intervention is likely to be more cost-effective when provided earlier rather than later in life.
As such, early intervention methods are essential prerequisites for later success in school, the workplace, and the community. Good quality early intervention services serve a multitude of benefits including health, language, communication, cognitive development and social-emotional development. Families benefit from early intervention by being able to better meet their children’s special needs from an early age and throughout their lives. Benefits to society include reducing economic burden through a decreased need for special education.
American Speech-Language Hearing Association, 2008; McLean & Cripe, 1997; Center on the Developing Child at Harvard University, 2010; Hebbeler, Spiker, Bailey, Scarborough, Mallik, Simeonsson & Singer, 2007; Landa, Holman, O’Neill & Stuart, 2010
Let Us Help You
Thrive Development Centre brings you the best of both worlds in combining the principles of Early Intervention with Inclusive Practices for a high-quality Early Intervention Program. Our multidisciplinary team of qualified and dedicated therapists work with an inclusion practitioner and educators in the school to bring individualized, remediation plans into practice.
Our overarching three-fold objectives are as follows:
- To provide positive, early experiences that serves to change and strengthen neural circuits for real changes to happen;
- To help the child reap the social-emotional benefits of a high-quality inclusion program in a mainstream setting
- To help provide a holistic program that helps not only the child but also their family achieve a greater quality of life.
Contact us today to find out more.